Candice Brown’s offers our ‘Bake of the Week’ with Chocolate Cardamom Orange Shortbread. Check out how to make this delicious afternoon treat at home.
170g unsalted softened butter
245g plain flour
50g golden caster sugar
35g soft light brown sugar
pinch of salt
zest of 2 oranges
10 cardamom pods- seeds removed and crushed
50g toasted flaked almonds
200g Dark chocolate- Lindt orange almond intense
Icing sugar to sprinkle
1. Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods and grind down in a pestle and mortar. Add this to the sugars, and orange zest into a bowl and mash the zest into the sugar with the back of a spoon so the oils get into the sugar and you can smell the orange and cardamom.
2. Add the softened butter and the vanilla to the orange sugar and mix until combined
3. Add the flour and salt to and mix with your hands until only just combined- do not over work. Divide into 2
4. Chop the dark chocolate and toasted almonds into small pieces and add 50g of chocolate to half the dough- mix with hands
5. flatten the 2 doughs- wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for 20–30 minutes
6. Preheat oven to 180c non fan/160c fan
7. Lightly flour the surface and roll dough out to 1/2 inch thick- cut out using star and heart shaped or xmas cutters
8. Place the biscuits onto a lined baking tray with space in between each one and put in the freezer for 10 minutes
9. Bake for 20-25mins- until golden brown- leave to cool on a cooling rack
10. sprinkle the chocolate and almond shortbread with icing sugar and put in a glass Kilner jar or in clear plastic wrapped up for gifts
11. Melt the remaining chocolate in a Pyrex bowl over a saucepan of simmering water- melt gently
12. Once melted dip the corners or sides of the plain orange shortbread into the melted cholesterol then sprinkle with the remaining toasted almonds. Lay on the silicone sheet to set- or place in the fridge to speed up.