Skinny Strawberry Basil Margarita
Yield: 1 serving
1 tablespoon quartered fresh strawberries
1 fresh basil leaf, plus 1 sprig, for garnish
3 ounces tequila
2 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
2 ounces Strawberry Basil –Simple Syrup
- Place the strawberries and the basil leaf in the bottom of a rocks glass. Gently muddle with a muddler or just use a spoon, making sure you bash the basil well to release the fragrant oils.
- Top with ice and add the tequila, lime juice, and syrup.
- Stir well to combine, garnish with a sprig of basil.
Strawberry Basil Simple Syrup
Yield: about 3 cups
1 cup fresh basil leaves
2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 cup agave nectar
1 cup water
- Place the basil in the bottom of a large glass container (I used my 4-cup measuring cup).
- In a medium-size saucepan, combine the strawberries, agave, and water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat to a gentle simmer, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Pour the hot syrup over the basil leaves and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Allow the syrup to cool at room temperature and then place it in the fridge to marinate overnight.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve or cocktail strainer.
Will keep covered in the fridge for a week, but I doubt you’ll need it to!
Don’t you dare throw away those used strawberries! They are amazing to muddle into the Skinny Strawberry Margarita (recipe above), drizzle over angel food cake for an easy dessert, or for tossing over your boring oatmeal. Now you’ve got a party!